Saturday, March 19, 2011

Recipe: Kimchi Pork Stew

Hello everybody!

This recipe is going to be extremely vague! I sorta just threw together this dish.
For the kimchi, it should be mostly pickling liquid with some of the vegetables left.  I inadvertently  used kimchi with msg and I feel like the integrity of the dish suffered for it.  I recommend using kimchi with no msg.


Ingredients:

coconut oil
2 pork hocks
rice wine
kimchi w/ liquids
water
chicken stock
1head of napa cabbage
salt and pepper to taste

Equipment:

One pot
Knife
Cutting Board
Tongs
Forks

Method:

1. Heat the pot with coconut oil on high heat
2. Brown the hocks in the pan, deglaze with rice wine
3. Once the alcohol has cooked off, pour in kimchi, pickling liquids, stock, and water so that the hocks are just covered.  The ratio for the liquids should be about 2:2:1 (It really depends on how spicy you want it though)
     -I don't think the stock would be necessary. If I were to do this dish again, I      would skip it.
4. Bring the liquids to a simmer and continue to simmer for around 40 minutes, until the hock is cooked through and is shreddable.
5. Remove the hocks from the liquid and shred with whatever tool you think is best.  I used two forks.
6. Do a rough chop of the cabbage and rinse it.
7. Add both the cabbage and pork back to the liquid and let simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment