Sunday, September 27, 2009

Recipe Template: Green Smoothies

I just mentioned green smoothies in my last post and would like to go into more details with it.  Firstly the contents.  The main ingredient of a green smoothie is, as implied, greens.  I prefer to add dark greens like kale, collard greens, spinach, but any greens will do.  I also add frozen fruit, banana, spirulina (an algae), coconut oil, water, and sometimes some flavors like ginger and honey.  I highly recommend mango ginger green smoothies.  Greens are a very important part of my diet and supply me with most of my vitamins and minerals.  I also add fruit for that same reason.  The banana is neccessary to take the bite out of the greens and the spirulina is also for important nutrients that are hard to find like chlorophyll.  Coconut oil is a recent addition.  I add it because fats are a stable way to stay full.  It will fight against the sugars in the fruit to keep my blood sugar balanced.  Also, the ratios of the ingredients in these smoothies are completely dynamic to fit each individual's need.  What tends to happen in the beginning is that there is a lot of fruit and very little green, but as time goes on and you become more accustomed to the flavor, I think you'll find yourself having a smoothie made almost entirely out of greens.  A green smoothie will typically keep me full only 3 to 4 hours but it makes me feel more aware than a normal breakfast cereal or the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment