Sunday, October 4, 2009

Veggie Grill

     I went to the Veggie Grill in Irvine, CA across the street from UCI yesterday and had an enjoyable moment followed by pain.  To get the logistics out of the way, I ordered a Crispy Sante Fe Chickin' (not CHICKEN mind you) for $8.95 and Sweetheart Fries for $4.25.  My guest ordered what I was originally going to get, Grillin' Chickin', for $8.95.  The total came out to be $14.38 with tax.  The sandwich was quite good and came with a small side of chili.
     If I had not consciously chosen Veggie Grill knowing that it was all vegetarian, I would have never known it was not real chicken.  The resemblance was remarkable AND delicious.  Additionally, the flavors on the sandwich were mended beautifully.  The whole wheat bun gave a very deep and sweet taste whereas the Southwestern vegan mayo was just spicy enough to add the perfect kick.  The vegetables on the sandwich, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and mashed avocado, were also fresh, adding to the overall appeal.  After quickly demolishing the sandwich, I moved on to the chili, which had good flavors but was not anything amazing.  The sweet potato fries, Sweetheart Fries, were also extremely good.  They were crisp on the outside and soft on the inside in the perfect ratio.  You could tell they were just fried.  The vegan chipotle sauce that it came with also wowed me.  Like my vegan mayo, it had just enough kick to make it exciting while the creaminess of the sauce balanced it.  My guest and I agree those are some of the best sweet potato fries we've ever had.  Anyways, my guest's sandwich had an amazing grilled taste that I did not believe you could get using vegetable proteins.  Her cole slaw was somewhat lacking though.  It was only minced cabbage with a sauce that offered no bold flavors.
     The service was extremely polite helpful.  The restaurant is set up in the style where you go to the cashier to take your order, and they take it to you.  Thankfully, the food also came very quickly.  The clean and simple atmosphere also made my experience more enjoyable.  Unfortunately my experience after was anything but.
   About 5 minutes after I had left the restaurant, I got a horrible stomach ache.  Now, I don't question the preparation of the food there, it was very clean, I only blame the content of it.  I usually get bad stomach aches after ingesting a lot of grains.  I think the fake meat was also a major factor in my pains.  I simply don't believe that proteins should be derived from vegetables to simulate meat.  It is not natural.
     Overall, my experience in the actual restaurant was excellent.  The price was exactly where it needed to be an everything was top notch.  If I go back again, I would upgrade my side to fries, put my fake meat on the kale bed, and order their fresh squeezed lemonade.  Seriously, the lemonade was calling my name the entire time I was there.  If this restaurant agreed with my diet more, I would definitely put it in my top 5.  I give the restaurant a 4.5/5.  5/5 for service. 4.5/5 for price(it can always be cheaper).  5/5 for atmosphere. 4/5 for food(the lackluster sides were disappointing).

UPDATE:
     I went back and had the fake Carne Asada but over a bed of steamed kale rather than on a bun.  The side was... I don't even remember.  Oh wait it was the spring salad.  I also got the fresh squeezed lemonade like I said I would.  My friend got the Sante Fe Chickin' like I did last time with a Sweet Potato Fries upgrade.  Carne Asada was definitely no match for the chickin so I recommend that if you come here you should get a chikin dish if anything.  Putting on a bed of steamed kale was definitely better on my stomach, and the kale was quite tasty as well.  Sweet potato fries were nowhere near as good as the first time I had them.  They were less crisp and fresh.  Best part of the meal: the fresh squeezed lemonade.  It was so good.  I must have had 5 cups of it.

1 comment:

  1. I had Veggie Grill yesterday for lunch and had the same thing as you except we also had the carrot cake. It was good but my stomach didn't take a liking to the food. After a nap my stomach didn't feel well and I endedup throwing upthe food. I think my body didn't know what to do with the all vegetarian meal I just had.

    ReplyDelete